Posted by Tiffy6666 | 0 comments

My Soul to Take - Rachel Vincent (Book Review)

I'm so sorry that I've been neglecting you my darlings! I'm in the midst of Summer exams and things are cray. But anyway, like I always say, I'm here now and that's what counts. I meant to post this review before the exams started but whatevs.

Okey doke, the latest book I have read is 'My Soul to Take' by Rachel Vincent. This book is the first of the 'Soul Screamers' series. There is a new supernatural creature which I haven't seen before on the YA market before... Banshees! Or as the book calls it bean sidhes (from the Irish 'fairy woman') bonus points to Vincent for using the Irish version instead of the English phonetical version. It's still pronounced the same way though. Okay I decided I was going to have a bit of structure in this review as all the good bloggers do! So here is my official book review:

My Soul to Take - Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #1
Pages: 345
Genre: Young Adult

Blurb: Something is wrong with Kaylee Cavanaugh... She can sense when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest boy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the dark forces behind Kaylee's power than she does.

And when class mates start dropping dead for no apparent reason and only Kaylee knows who'll be next, she realises that finding a boyfriend is the least of her worries!

Cover:  To be honest I wasn't too keen on the cover. The first thing I saw was a quote from Kirkus Reviews saying 'Twilight fans will love it.' Colour me disinterested. But I have to say I was intrigued by the Bean Sidhe idea as I'd never read anything like it. So first of all Vincent, get the quote off the cover!! You're discouraging readers! I liked the image even if I think the girl looks like she's yawning. Just a bit.

Plot:  The plot of this book wasn't boring but it wasn't particularly exciting. It got me through a couple of days of no new reading material. The plot revolves around how Kaylee and this boy Nash try to figure why girls are randomly dropping dead in their area. If I'm to be completely honest (and I always am!) the plot was a tad on the predictable side from early on in the book however saying that, it wasn't too bad of a storyline. I've definitely seen worse. Especially recently.

Likes: I liked the uniqueness of the idea. I've never really heard any stories about bean sidhes so it was interesting to see Vincent's take on the old wives tale. I especially loved all the references back to Ireland especially as the majority of them were accurate. I know a tad full of ourselves over here! Anyway thumbs up for Irish-ness!!

Dislikes: At times the book can be a tad boring and as I mentioned above I felt the plot a tad predictable at times, but that's just my opinion.

Overall: I'm going to give it a 5/10 because to be honest I wouldn't be too choked up about not reading the sequel even though I liked the characters.
Yep I went there.
So what do you think? Do you prefer the more structured reviews or my more ranty incoherent reviews? Let me know I'm here to please! Also do you like the new additions to the blog? My new love heart share button in the bottom left and my new header? I'm thinking of adding more cool stuff soon. Until next time x


0 comments :

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets