Posted by Tiffy6666 | 0 comments

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey (Book Review)

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Series: The Fifth Wave Series #1
Release Date: May 7th 2013
Pages: 457
Genres: Aliens, Apocalyptic, YA
Websites: Fansite Amazon(UK) Amazon(Com) Author

Blurb: 'THE 1st WAVE
Took out half a million people.
THE 2nd WAVE
Put that number to shame.
THE 3rd WAVE
Lasted a little longer. Twelve weeks . . . Four billion dead.
IN THE 4th WAVE,
You can't trust that people are still people.
AND THE 5th WAVE?
No one knows.
But it's coming.
On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs.
Runs from the beings that only look human, who have scattered Earth's last survivors.
To stay alone is to stay alive, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope.
Now Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.'

Trailer:

Cover: The cover of this book, I feel, represents the survival of humans in this post apocalyptic world really well. The second I saw it on the shelf, I knew I had to buy it!

Plot: As much as I equally loved and hated this book, the plot really was just, meh. It was VERY similar to that of the Host, so much in fact that I felt it could have been a prequel to the Host. The only difference was that the 'Others' didn't care for the humans as beings and were actually quite mean. That and no silver eyes or immediate ways to identify humans from aliens.

Likes: I liked the epic-ness of this book. I liked the plot even if it wasn't necessarily very original. I also loved the hype and book trailers, before I read the book. The powers that be publicized this book EXTREMELY well. I think the waves in themselves were very clever and found them the best part of the book. I especially think the first wave was phenomenal, it really shows how us as humans rely so much on technology that if something were to happen to kill all technology, well let's face it s**t would hit the fan.

Dislikes: Oh the characters! I'm surprised Cassie survived past the first wave let alone to the end of the the fourth, because to be honest, she's not the sharpest crayon in the box. Also she didn't survive because she was wily or streetwise, she survived out of sheer dumb luck. I felt that Yancey was trying too hard to create a 'tough' Katniss Everdeen type Heroine and failed miserably. Likewise, Sam, Cassie's FIVE year old brother is far too smart for a five year old. We change points of view several times in the NINETY ONE chapters. Those of you who have read my previous reviews know how much I hate changing POV's. I feel it looses the momentum and epic-ness which is what this book is all about. Okay forget about the changing of POV's for a sec, but then, Yancey doesn't actually tell us who's point of view he's writing from. Like, what the hell? It's like he's sitting at his desk thinking 'Okay readers you do some work now and figure out who I am.' I know I'm not a genius but it did take me a good few pages to figure out what had happened the first time he did it. Then I had to go back and re-read those pages with fresh insight which annoyed me. Lastly I didn't like the romance. It wasn't believable between Cassie and Evan and barely there between*SPOILER*
 

Verdict: I guess I didn't really equally love and hate this book as much as I thought I did. Humm...
I'm going to give it a 4/10 for being annoying, having next to no plot and boring characters. Sorry Rick! Rant over.
 
For whoever started all the hype over this book.
Until next time x

0 comments :

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets