Posted by Tiffy6666 | 36 comments

My Guide to the Gaeltacht. (Pearls of Wisdom #2)

Okay, I feel like I should do a post about things you need for the Gaeltacht. I went to the Gaeltacht for the first time over last Summer, and I definitely over-packed, so probably could have done with a post such as this. For those of you who haven't a clue what I'm on about, the Gaeltacht is a region in the West of Ireland where the majority of people speak our Native tounge, Irish (Gaeilge) instead of English, which was  the language I and the majority of the Irish people who live in the East were brought up speaking.
So, teenagers from all over the country go there every Summer for two-three week courses in which we improve our Irish. (Because we aren't allowed to speak anything else!) So for the newbies and first timers who are wandering to the Gaeltacht this year and haven't a clue what to bring, and/or are stressed about going, here are some tips which I could have used before over-packing and making a complete plonker out of myself. Without further ado I give you Tiffy's guide to the Gaeltacht...

One of my bags for the Gaeltacht :/
Be a cailìn nò buachaill, ready for all seasons. Bring clothes for all kinds of weather! You could get lucky and have three weeks of scorching sun, but equally you could get buckets of rain. Let's face it, you're not leaving Ireland so you could experience all four seasons in one day so just act like a Scout and BE PREPARED!
But don't overpack like I did. If you have more than one large suitcase which you would use on an abroad holiday, you've gone too far. If like me you have a gym bag as well as suitcase, I think you need to prioritize. I know you want to bring the kitchen sink, but believe me you don't need it!!

This brings me on to what you defo do need. As I mentioned in an earlier post I shared a house with 15 other girls! Whilst sharing a house with 15 other peeps to borrow clothes from is fun, sharing one bathroom is not. Showers were once every two days max, so I advise to bring good make-up wipes and dry shampoo to keep yourself feeling fresh on the day you don't get to have a shower, if what happens to me happens to you.
Cèilìs are sweaty business believe me! That reminds me, a good deodorant that you can store in your bag, believe me people will be asking for it all day. Another good idea is bug spray, as the Irish wet and warm Summers do attract the midgets, especially in the evening walking home from the Colàiste. Also Gaeltacht houses tend to be very old, with minimum sockets so save yourself the arguments over who gets to plug their hairdryer in first before going out by bringing a 4 or 5 socket adapter.
This will be the best thing you've brought! Check the rules, are mobile phones, ipods, books and magazines allowed?  You don't want these confiscated!

My other bag :/
Fancy Dress is pretty much guaranteed so prepare cùpla costumes in advance (but not so many that your suitcase is filled with things you can only wear to themed cèilìs!) Think rainbow colours, 70's disco and face paint is extremely helpful in any fancy dress situation.

If you play an instrument, defo bring it if you want a chance to show off your skills. There are plenty of opportunities to use it so again if you can fit it and want to bring it do!

If your going without a friend, please don't worry! After three weeks you'll have tons of cairde nua so bring your camera to snap pics and freeze frame all the deadly, cringey, hilarious moments and share the delight on Facebook (Aghaidh-Leabhar) when you get back! (PS don't forget the charger!)
My best friend.

Now for the boring stuff, you'll defo need a copy, one pen at least, and a foclòir is alway handy! Maybe bring an extra pen in case you lose the first :) Bring stamped envelopes, to write letters home and bring a nice copy for your new friends to write messages and contact details in on the last day.

There's always room for a bit of romance at the Gaeltacht, but my advice is don't go looking for it or expecting it. Keep it discreet if you do meet someone as long-distance relationships can be tough and you don't want everyone in the Gaeltacht crying over how Romeo and Juliet will hardly ever see each other again because one lives in Cork and the other in Donegal!


Um not quite...
Second to last, bug your family and friends in to writing as often as possible, because it's the best feeling in the world to hear 'Laura you've got post!'. It's like Hogwarts or something. If you're worried about being homesick, don't. It's pointless, and let's face it you're going to be stuck with that family you've been crying over in the Gaeltacht ALL SUMMER. You'll be dying to stay by the end! Bring a photo or a teddy if that will make you feel better.

Lastly the most important thing is... Try. Try not to speak English, it's the reason you're at the Gaeltacht in the first place. After a couple of days it's not so hard. You'll be thinking in Irish! Even if it's in the bathroom or bedroom and there are no Cinnires around, don't succumb to the Bèarla. Trust me you'll be miles better of if you try to spend the whole three weeks speaking as Gaeilge! Also speaking as Bèarla might throw other people off and their 'immersion process' ruined. So if in doubt just don't do it. Write it down and rip it up or something. Try to keep an open attitude, even if you hate Irish and your parents are forcing you to go, don't waste the experience, don't sulk or moan. Don't torture other people who just want to spend three weeks having good craic.

Enjoy x
So enjoy and just remember, it's three weeks, even if it's not your thing you can survive it. You're not in the celebrity jungle, your not on survivor, so man up and get to it. And ENJOY IT! Sorry did I already say that? Ah well. Anywho, if you have any questions about the Gaeltacht my dearies, I would be delighted to answer 'em and such. Sorry about the fadas being the wrong way! So until next time x


36 comments :

  1. Thanks for that, I live in the east too and I'm going to Galway this summer for 3 weeks:) Your piece was very helpful to me, and I particularly think the extra socket thing will come in handy:) I'll take your advice into account and hopefully I'll be ceart go loir:) xxx Thanks again!:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely welcome! :D if you have any questions feel free to message me!! Have a great time hun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am going to gaeltacht for 3 weeks and wondering howmuch money i should bring

      Delete
  3. I finding it hard to find a good gaelteacht to go to, I need one to be 3 weeks long and has to have water sports! and also you can have fun in! any suggestions? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cape clear Island might just be the place for you! There's water activities on offer & a group boat trip too =^] I have many amazing memories of the place (which is off the coast of West Cork.) check it out at http://www.colaistephobalchleire.ie

      Delete
    2. Spleodar is great, I'm actually leaving today, have been twice already!

      Delete
  4. I'm also having the same problem and I also want a big population to be in one , I once went to one with only like 40 people there! answer as soon as you can please! :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys! I went to Spleodar Camus and I absolutely can't recommend it enough! I went once and jumped from a C grade in honours Irish to an A1 (Leaving Cert) There was a couple hundred people on the course and it was just absolutely brill. The only thing is, the courses tend to fill up in September so that won't work for this year. Also there was no water sports :P I have no experience of them, but I have heard that Colaiste Lurgain, Cholaiste Camus (same place different people running it) but I honestly believe that Spleodar is the way to go. Here's their webpage ->http://spleodar.com/ even if you check out courses for next year. My sister went on the Leitir Mor course and absolutely loved it! If you have any more Q's feel free to ask as I get an email when peeps comment so I'll get back to you asap. Hope yous find what you're looking for :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go but I'm not sure! You see I'm self concious about my body I don't like showing it to much. And have to shave my arms and all that and I don't want to show my body to much. I don't like swimming I;m so nervous :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went last year and felt just like that but actually nobody really cares and you make loads of new friends so if you go have fun agus biodh gaeilge a labhairt agat! : )

      Delete
  7. I went last year to a Gaeltacht and omg every thing you have here is totally right :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try :) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you get kicked out of gaeltacht, can you go again the next year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm nearly one hundred per cent sure you can but it depends on the Gaeltacht that you go to! I'm completely sure that if you get kicked out of one you can go to a different one the next year, the gaeltacht companies are all separate and don't tend to converse about the bad people who got kicked out! Especially if you want to try to learn Irish and be good this time around! :D They shouldn't hold it against seeing as you were the only one who lost out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to the Gaeltacht before and am thinking of going, but am worried about homesickness! any advice??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a Gaeltacht last year and was quite homesick for the first few days. What didn't help was that I went on a family holiday the week before! Luckily my sister was there so we had each other but the people working there are used to people being homesick so just tell them you are feeling homesick and they should let you ring your parents. Also writing letters and taking a picture of your family with you helps. :)

      Delete
  12. I'm going to the Gaeltacht this summer and I have a few questions. Should I bring a school bag or a bag of any sort, other than a suitcase? Should I bring any sports equipment like a hurl (as I play Camogie)? I know all Gaeltachts are different but in Spleodar Camus did they have any storage compartments like bedside lockers/tables or shelfs? and what about laundry and washing machines, like do you have to wash clothes yourself or do your clothes not get washed at all? Its one of the things I'm worried about.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi you should bring another bag as well as your suitcase because will be going on trips and to the beach. bring your hurl and if you play any instruments bring them. i went to colaiste na bhfiann they did a wash the second tuesday but i didnt leave anything out i just brought clothes for 3 weeks. maybe you could email spleodar camus to find out. hopei helped

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any advice on what clothes to wear to the ceilis? I've heard that its very low key but some of the girls in pictures I've seen look like they're going to Wezz.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any advice on what clothes to wear to the ceilis? I've heard that its very low key but some of the girls in pictures I've seen look like they're going to Wezz.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any advice on what clothes to wear to the ceilis? I've heard that its very low key but some of the girls in pictures I've seen look like they're going to Wezz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the ceilis last year in acla were not like wezz at all , they usually have a theme in acla like the beach,black and white , 70s so its usually fitted to that, if not a nice top and jeans or a skirt with straightened hair and some lipgloss will be fine

      Delete
  17. I got a scholarship to go to coláiste na bhfiann but I don't know if I'm going to be good enough. I think I'll speak as béarla within the first few days. Any ideas on how to keep focused? And should I do the two weeks or the three weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, I would definitely do the 3 weeks to get the full experience. People tend to overthink the whole speaking irish thing like obviously that's why you go to the gaeltacht, but the gaeltacht is only 3 weeks its not the end of the world to speak irish for 3 weeks. It might be hard for the first 2-3 days but after that you'll be thinking in irish it'll almost be hard to even think in english. And don't worry you're absolutely good enough , you got a scholarship for a reason. Maith thú!! Tá súil agam go mbeidh spraoi agat ag freastail na ghaeltacht! xxx

      Delete
  18. Coláiste na Rosann in Annagry, Dún na nGall are offering upright paddleboarding, kayaking, surfing and 'rock and roaming' for 2016 -did it last year and it was amazing!!!!
    If your after top quality Irish teachers, a really good gaeltacht college where the atmosphere is brill i say get a place booked at Coláiste na Rosann today before it gets booked out...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I'm going to Colaiste Laichtin in June...just wondering if you've heard anything about this Gaeltacht? I'm really excited about going ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. Also how much money did you bring for the three weeks? Thanks really useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just popping back to say I don't actually use this blog anymore, I'll answer all your questions now, sorry for being so late to some! I'll be over at Laura Does What if you need me for anything else :) Clothes to wear to ceilis are generally low key, there are always gonna be people who dress like they're hitting the Wright Venue but don't mind them. Wear whatever you want to! And like someone mentioned above they're generally themed so dressing like a ho will only make you look foolish :P I would do two weeks if you don't fare well away from home or three if you do. Believe me Irish is not going to be a problem, once you start trying it comes naturally to you. If you can't think of how to say something you can always mime or use the few broken words you might have. If you speak English by accident just apologise and focus harder on speaking Irish. Trying is all you can do so don't worry about it. I haven't heard about Colaiste Laichtin but I haven't heard anything bad which is always good, and also I'm in university so I'm not really up to date on the Gaeltacht suss. You should be excited! You will have a ball! Even now, me being in my twenties, people talk about their experiences in the Gaeltacht. I think I took about a hundred euro, but didn't end up spending anymore than twenty as we only had a tuck shop and no shops etc. Hope I helped! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey ! Do you play much sorts in Litir Moir ? I'm going there in a few days. I am very nervous because last year I was really homesick for the first week. I am really sporty and I last year I went to Ros Muc Spleodar and we had to walk 5 km to a field to play sports !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello hello hello, can't log in as myself as I've forgotten the password but I wanted to reply as swift as possible so here I am. Went and woke my sister up and she says you do play a good bit of sports and there is a sports field nearby. That being said she is half asleep so apologies if I'm wrong! You're going to have lots of fun so Na bí buartha! It's only three weeks and you can always call home whenever you like! I personally know a good few of the cinnirí this year and they're a sound bunch as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. For the interview for curse B do you have to know the old Irish anthem.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE CLOISTE CHAIMIS INTERVIEWS ???????

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi I am going to colaiste lurgan for the first time in 2 weeks and I am going alone and petrified of not being able to make friends//not understanding people etc so I would be grateful of any tips anybody has for me thanks lads

    ReplyDelete
  28. Colaiste N.a.bhfiann Ros Muc, total nightmare, be careful boys and girls, not good reports about this place, the cinnire one in particular, bullied, and exercised extreme control over girls she was supposed to help and encourage, it was reported by many parents and guess what, she was not removed, Spleodar was our first choice, but was booked up, please be wary. Not a good place, they break your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not a really sporty person and am worried about this aspect of the Gaeltacht. What do you think. Also I'm used to speaking Dublin Irish, so will it be a big problem to do to a Donegal Irish Gaeltacht.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets